Flashback: Skyway


In the last post, you may have spotted the Skyway cab rising in front of Space Mountain. The Skyway attraction took its Guests on one-way trips between Tomorrowland and Fantasyland at the Magic Kingdom, from 1971 to 1999. While Skyways also operated at Disneyland (passing through the open grottoes of the Matterhorn) and in Tokyo Disneyland, the Walt Disney World version was unique in that it was the only such attraction that made a 90° turn.

After traversing the skies over Tomorrowland, the cabs would come down closer to ground level at the edge of the Grand Prix Raceway (today's Tomorrowland Speedway). There, a switching station seamlessly transferred the cabs to another line, lifting them up again toward Fantasyland.


The photo below indicates where some of the towering Skyway pylons were located in Fantasyland. Although the resolution isn't the best, eagle eyes might also spot the old Fantasyland trash can designs, original blue and metal rental strollers, and the roof of the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea extended queue (at bottom right).


At the other end of the line, the Skyway cabs came down to a beautiful Swiss chalet before changing passengers and heading back out to Tomorrowland once again. Since the closing of the Skyway more than a decade ago, the Tomorrowland station and each of the pylons have all been removed. This chalet, though, can still be found on the western edge of Fantasyland, where today it provides a scenic backdrop for the stroller parking area near It's a Small World.


Many Disney Parks fans lament the loss of the Skyway. It was certainly a classic attraction, having originally debuted at Disneyland in 1956, and it offered spectacular views of sections of the park.


For my money, though, I was okay with the Skyway floating into history. While it may have been a unique attraction when Walt Disney added it to Disneyland in the '50s, decades later sky rides just like it had become commonplace in parks across the country. It also never quite worked for me as part of either a fairy tale village or futuristic setting.

As for those views, some were certainly magnificent. Guests aboard the Skyway were also treated, however, to looks at backstage areas and barren rooftops. From this vantage point, Mickey's PhilharMagic, for example (below), would look considerably less magical.


The Skyway was fun in its day, but as is often the case in the Disney Parks, the time came for a change. Even though Walt brought the Skyway to his park, he also introduced the idea of constant evolution:

"[Disneyland is] something that will never be finished. Something that I can keep developing, keep plussing and adding to. It's alive. It will be a live breathing thing that will need change. A picture is a thing, once you wrap it up and turn it over to Technicolor you're through. Snow White is a dead issue with me. A live picture I just finished, the one I wrapped up a few weeks ago, it's gone, I can't touch it. There's things in it I don't like; I can't do anything about it. I wanted something alive, something that could grow, something I could keep plussing with ideas; the Park is that."
- Walt Disney

5 comments:

  1. I'm lovin' the pics from the 70s! I went to WDW as child during the same period and it is fun to see the park as it was then. I agree with you about the "skybuckets" (as our family called them). I loved the attraction, and I would enjoy riding it again, but I don't grieve over the loss like I do some other shorter-lived attractions (like the big 3 missing from Epcot).
    Thanks again for this and all of your posts! Your efforts are enjoyed and appreciated!
    Jim Cotey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree. The Skyway never did fit in to the themeing of the parks and the views of the backstage areas broke the magic that many tourist found themselves in. I also dislike the idea of a ride making you get off a point that you didn't load at. This can lead to confusion and I think hurts crowd flow. I feel the same about any skyride that makes you do this. The Peoplemovers give a great view from above without ruining the magic and the load and unload station is in the same place, that is why I like them much more than any skyride type of ride.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never had the chance to ride the Skyway but I have a very vivid memory from my first in '72. We were exiting "it's a small world" and I recall watching the Skyway above. We weren't allowed to ride it because we were only there for one day and needed to visit more of the park.

    I have been enjoying your posts since I found your blog weeks ago. Really appreciate your efforts and the unique look of the parks that you provide. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm afraid of heights so I used to beg my parents to let me walk across the park instead of using the skyway

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol I sometimes feel you are a little TOO much apologist for Corporate decisions that impacted the parks, and thus have to be re-Imagineered into the story, I absolutely agree with you here. The Skyway fit neither theme. BUT I think there needs to be more transportation if possible in all the parks. Appropriately themed of course! but there is a LOT more to cover over many more parks over longer vacations nowadays. And some foot-saving attractions would be welcome. And we all know that those were some of Walt's favorite kinds of attractions.

    ReplyDelete