Born 'n' Bred in the Briar Patch


Built into the hillside adjacent to Splash Mountain is the Briar Patch shop, a little burrow that's home to Br'er Rabbit's family. After all, he was "born an' bred in the briar patch!"

Some of the best details on the outside of the Briar Patch include the large stone that has slid down the roof of the bay window, displacing some of the shingles (above), and the rabbit-size door and mailbox on the east side of the burrow:


It's inside, though, where the Briar Patch is truly special. The shop is meant to be underground, with heavy beams holding the earth above our heads and thorny briars growing down into the space, adorned with dozens of lanterns.


A stone fireplace and rocking chairs dominate the main room. Looking past it, you'll get a glimpse into some of the other spaces in the burrow. There's the Rabbit family dining room, with a carrot pattern carved into the chair, and a bedroom with thistle wallpaper and bunny portraits on the wall. There's even a painting of Whistler's Mother... with ears! (Br'er Rabbit's mother, perhaps?)


Yes, the Briar Patch is home sweet home for Br'er Rabbit and his kin. Hopefully that ol' rabbit has learned his lesson now and will steer clear of Br'er Fox and Br'er Bear and stay right here. As he sings at the conclusion of the attraction:

"I'm through with moving on now.
It's where I'm born and bred in,
the Briar Patch is where I'm headin'.
Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah! Zip-a-Dee-Ay!
I'm back in my home now, and I'm sure gonna stay!"

4 comments:

  1. Splash Mt. is one of the best themed rides! I assume this store is in Disneyland, as I haven't seen anything like it at WDW. Too bad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is actually at Magic Kingdom in Walt Disney World. It's on the left as you head toward the Splash Mountain Fastpass Return.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for pointing out the Whistler's mother painting! I just came back from my trip and had my boyfriend take pics of the rooms, but I didn't notice that detail. I actually never saw the rooms before until this past trip, so I didn't even think to examine those in depth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did this shop formerly have a window display of Br'er Rabbit's kitchen? I remember being fascinated by such a display when I was little (around 1996), but it was gone when I went back in 2000. I have been trying to find a picture of it, so far this is the closest I've gotten! If anyone has info or pictures, please let me know at cmuller@hartford.edu Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete