La Tanière du Dragon


Completely unique to Disneyland Paris is a minor attraction of sorts, tucked into the hillside beneath Sleeping Beauty Castle. It's here that you'll find La Tanière du Dragon, the dragon's lair. The path leading to the left of the castle has a distinctly less friendly character all its own. The lanterns are more Gothic than romantic. The stone and wood are heavier and darker, and even the carved details in the columns transition from vines and squirrels to thorns and ravens.


That raven bears a striking resemblance to Diablo, loyal pet of the evil fairy Maleficent. Maleficent is also referenced in the horns depicted on the sign marking the entrance to the dragon's lair. Fans of Disney's 1959 animated classic, Sleeping Beauty, will remember that Maleficent turns into a dragon in the film's climax, only to be defeated by Prince Phillip and the Sword of Truth. Did Maleficent perish in that battle, or does she perhaps live on, forever in dragon form and banished to this subterranean realm?

Once inside, the dank caverns of dripping stalactites are dotted with the occasional flickering torch, suspended by sconces forged in an appropriate silhouette. Before long, though - and almost before your eyes have time to adjust - you turn a corner and find yourself in the heart of the lair, mere feet away from the beast itself.


The dragon of La Tanière du Dragon is actually the largest Audio-Animatronics figure created for Disneyland Paris, with a length of more than seventy feet. It's movements are subtle, but highly effective. Walk in, and you may find the dragon asleep, it's tail gently swaying and it's chest heaving slightly with each breath, wisps of smoke drifting from its nostrils.


After a few moments, the creature awakens, clacking its long talons and raising its mighty head to roar defiantly at the unwelcome visitors. Each time the dragon stirs, it reacts a bit differently, adding to the sense that it's truly alive.

La Tanière du Dragon was closed for refurbishment until the final day of my visit to Disneyland Paris. I'm glad I had the chance to experience it. While this attraction may not have the thrills of Space Mountain or draw the crowds of Pirates of the Caribbean, I would definitely categorize it as "not to be missed." The experience of entering that space and standing in the presence of something so lifelike is amazing. I have goosebumps just thinking about it!

5 comments:

  1. Definitely one of my favorite sections of Disneyland Paris. Words cannot describe how cool this figure is. Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This attraction was the thing that first made me want to visit Disneyland Paris, I cannot wait to someday see it in person. Thank you, as always, for your amazing in-depth reports!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely not-to-be-missed at Disneyland Paris!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh! I cant believe I missed this when I went in 2009! Its a shame I only went for a day:(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow that dragon looks amazing!!! I am getting goosebumps just reading it ;) I had never heard of this before but your post makes me want to go see it now! Thank you so much for all you do - this is my favorite blog!

    ReplyDelete