Marty Who?


Opening day at the Disney-MGM Studios Theme Park was certainly a star-studded affair. Everywhere you turned, there were familiar faces. Bob Hope. George Burns. Audrey Hepburn. Annette Funicello. Kevin Costner. Molly Ringwald. Dick Van Dyke. Mary Tyler Moore. I was thrilled to be a Guest in the park on that day. It was an incredibly memorable experience, but the highlight for me was getting to meet someone whom no one else recognized.

We were walking by the Hollywood & Vine Cafeteria of the Stars late in the day, when we spotted an interview taking place on the grass of a nearby planter. My companions that day took one look, then shrugged and kept walking. I was star struck. The individual being interviewed was none other than Marty Sklar.

I probably don't have to elaborate for most of you reading this blog, but for the uninitiated, Marty Sklar is currently the Imagineering Ambassador to the World. Marty started his Disney career while still a student at UCLA, working on the Disneyland News for a month when the park opened. After graduating in 1956, Marty joined Disneyland's public relations department full time. He went on to become a writer at WED Enterprises and wrote many of Walt Disney's television show introductions. As recently as three years ago, Marty was WDI's top creative leader.

On that grand opening day at the Studios, Marty Sklar was no doubt very busy shuffling from one interview appointment to another, but when he was stopped by a wide-eyed 19-year-old with a passion for Disney, he couldn't have been nicer. What Marty gave me that day was more than an autograph. It was inspiration. I got my first job with Disney one month later and within my first decade had the opportunity to write for Walt Disney Imagineering myself. The next handwritten note I would receive from Marty would be comments on a piece I had written. That was an amazing day. I still get goosebumps just thinking about it.

I learned this weekend that Marty has announced he is officially retiring from the Company July 17 of this year. While his Ambassador role hasn't had him as closely involved with things as he once was, it was nice to know he was still around, wandering the halls. It will be an historic moment when he steps away after 53 consecutive years. He will definitely be missed, but his legacy lives on in the parks and attractions he helped create and the generation of Disney Imagineers and Cast he helped inspire.

The piece of paper I handed Marty that day is starting to yellow with age after twenty years, but it still holds a place of honor in a frame on my desk. I read it every day: "Shawn - Fill many blank pieces of paper with great ideas! Good luck! Marty Sklar"


Thanks for everything, Marty. And when you finally get around to writing that book, I'll be first in line to buy a copy!

1 comment:

  1. That's just an awesome story. I loved the simple inspiring note he wrote you. That would have just been too cool to see.

    ReplyDelete