Soul Food for Surfers


Surf culture is pervasive at Typhoon Lagoon, from the Beach Boys tunes playing in the air to the "hang loose" atmosphere on the shore. Every element helps reinforce this idea, even down to the detail of this cart. Essentially, it's an outdoor vending cart offering hot dogs, turkey legs, cold drinks and other snacks. It's made to be part of the story, though, as if a retired surfer has put together his own little meals-on-wheels-style jalopy and driven it down to the beach to serve the local crowd. As they say, "Surfing affects your lifestyle like no other sport... it becomes your lifestyle."

1 comment:

  1. As designer (WDI Imagineering) Concept artist of this cart I have to tell you that it came as a vision of serendipity to me when I stood on the sandy site where it was to go at Typhoon Lagoon. I "saw" a Tuk-Tuk in my mind's eye, a three-wheeled vehicle (motorcycle), often used in the Southeast Asian countries as a street taxi. Of course it wasn't BIG enough to sell hot dogs out of. So I Imagineered it to be cut in half with the cart part welded in the middle between front and rear pieces. Then one fortuitous day sometime that next week I went to a car show in Ocoee, and there behind me was a Tuk-Tuk for sale. We bought it, Icarus Display built it, and there it now sits in the sand. Totally awesome how the mind works over matter!! M.K. - WDI-FL (Ret.)

    ReplyDelete