Casey, Jr.'s Comin' Down the Track


Occupying the same corner of Fantasyland as the Storybook Land Canal Boats is Casey Jr. Circus Train, an early Disneyland attraction but one that didn't quite make opening day. Although the train is seen operating in the "Dateline: Disneyland" special broadcast on ABC July 17, 1955, the ride wouldn't be ready to take guests until two weeks later.

Casey Jr. Circus Train had originally been conceived as something of a roller coaster ride. In testing, the speed of the train and steep grade of the hill caused operational problems. Everything was soon ironed out, though, and Casey Jr. has now toured the back of Fantasyland for some 55 years. While it isn't quite a roller coaster, a trip on the zippy little train can still be thrilling for younger guests.


Casey Jr. loads his passengers from the little depot behind Dumbo the Flying Elephant, a colorful caricature of the old Frontierland Railroad station. With the Ringmaster (or at least his voice) at the helm, we set off for adventure, just like the circus leaving winter quarters in Walt Disney's Dumbo.


The locomotive of the train looks just like the character from the film and even exerts its personality a bit on the journey. As you chug up the hill, listen for Casey Jr. to wheeze "I think I can. I think I can. I think I can... I thought I could. I thought I could!"


Just behind the engine is a tender car, made to look like a circus calliope, carved and painted in the elaborate style of the gaudy circus wagons from days gone by. Some of the cars of the train are actually the sleigh-style seats that were originally part of the merry-go-round converted into King Arthur Carrousel. The gilded carvings fit right in, especially considering they date back to 1875!


Of course, a favorite place for many guests to ride the train is inside the Monkey or Wild Animal cage cars. Looking out through the bars always elicits a smile!


No matter where you choose to sit, a ride on the Casey Jr. Circus Train is loads of fun and provides a great view of the scenes in Storybook Land down below. Too soon, though, the train pulls back into the station, and as the Ringmaster says, it's "the end of the lion." But since this is Disneyland, we can always just get back in line and do it again!

1 comment:

  1. I have to admit that I've taken this attraction for granted. You've shamed me!

    ReplyDelete