Favorite Things: Disney Books


One of my favorite things is my collection of Disney books. I always enjoy finding a new volume to pore over, eager to learn all I can about the man, his company, his creations and the legacy that continues to this day. Of course, my collection pales in comparison to some (I'm looking at you @otisney and @biblioadonis!), but there are a few books on my shelf that I truly cherish.

First and foremost is Disneyland - The Nickel Tour by Bruce Gordon and David Mumford. On the surface a tour of Disneyland postcards through the years, the book is a treasure trove of detail, history and minutia on The Happiest Place on Earth, written in a humorous style by two guys who lived much of it and helped create some of it. Whenever I want to research something about Disneyland, this is the first thing I pick up.


Another invaluable resource is Dave Smith's Disney A to Z. Three volumes have been printed thus far, and an online supplement is available, documenting everything that has come along since the last edition of the book. Between my wife and I, we own all three print editions of Disney A to Z, but my favorite is the first.

That first edition on my shelf is signed by the author, but also has a few other special autographs within its pages. Years ago, I would carry my copy of Disney A to Z to every Disneyana Convention and special event, with the hope of getting some of my Disney heroes to sign the book.


Flipping through and seeing those pen marks today takes me back to those moments. It brings a smile to my face to remember what a joy Jodi Benson was (not to mention how cool it was to hear the voice of my favorite princess talking directly to me!) or how honored I was to be in the presence of Marc Davis, a true Disney Legend. It's those memories, far more than the object, that makes this book one of my favorite things.

1 comment:

  1. Wow...

    I never thought about getting autographs that way!

    I do wish they would reprint The Nickel Tour. It is one of the best history books around.

    ReplyDelete