Favorite Things: Jungle Cruise


The Jungle Cruise is one of the classic Disney attractions. It's been around since the opening of Disneyland in 1955 (In fact, it was the only attraction in Adventureland back then). While it continues to be a favorite today, the Jungle Cruise is the subject of relatively little merchandise compared to its thrill ride cousins.

I have a handful of items in my personal collection. One of my favorite things from Jungle Cruise is the serigraph cel of the Trapped Safari scene, with the Fab 5 standing in for the hunting party. I especially enjoy that the boat depicted on the cel is of the original, candy-striped variety. I also have a plastic model of one of those original boats. The real boats on the Jungle Cruise have all been replaced with craft sporting a more rugged, realistic look. I like the new boats, but it makes me smile to have examples of the classic boats.


A particularly unique item is this trivet from Tokyo Disneyland. The merchandise selection in Japan is quite different from what we're accustomed to seeing in the domestic parks. Many items are smaller and more practical in nature, but they also take the opportunity to feature art from attractions that don't get represented as frequently.

Of course, my fondness for the Jungle Cruise is bolstered by the fact that I was once a skipper there. You can read about some of my experiences and see a picture of me piloting a boat here, and don't forget to check back tomorrow for more of my favorite things.

No comments:

Post a Comment