Favorite Things: Props from the Past


One of the bonuses of working for the Walt Disney Company is that cast members can occasionally land unique souvenirs, especially when the time comes for a show or attraction to close.

Ten years ago, I was part of the team of writers that developed the "Who Wants to be a Millionaire - Play It!" live show attractions at Disney's Hollywood Studios and Disney California Adventure. When the show closed in 2006, those of us who helped create and operate it were presented with a full set of the pins awarded to contestants during the show's run. I was also fortunate to be able to hang onto my original backstage pass from the production and to snag one of the button boxes when the set was dismantled. It's pretty useless now, but is one of my favorite things for the memories it brings back.


When the Disney-Pixar film Cars opened in 2006, I led the effort to introduce Lightning McQueen and Mater to their fans at Disney's Hollywood Studios. Aside from appearances for photo ops, the Cars stars also took part in the Disney Stars and Motor Cars Parade on Hollywood Boulevard. In the parade, they were joined by the Rust-eze Girls, a team of roller-skating carhops representing McQueen's main sponsor.


When the parade closed and the Rust-eze girls were retired, I was able to keep one of the cans of Rust-eze they used as a prop in their routine. It was created using original art from Pixar and is definitely one of my favorite things.

2 comments:

  1. Very cool!!!! cars is one of our favs and I would love to have a Rust-eze can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, consider me officially jealous!

    ReplyDelete