Earliest Memories


I don't remember much from my first visit to Walt Disney World in 1978, but there are a few things that stand out in my mind. For some reason, one of my strongest memories is seeing Goofy water skiing alongside the ferry on our way across Seven Seas Lagoon to the Magic Kingdom.

Characters like Goofy or Mr. Smee regularly appeared on water skis during the early years of the Vacation Kingdom of the World. Their runs were typically scheduled in the mornings as the majority of Guests were arriving at the park, kicking off their day with a dash of pure Disney fun.


Another of my memories from that first trip also involves the Disney characters. I distinctly recall watching a show in Fantasyland about the Three Little Pigs. The show was held at the Fantasy Faire Stage, located in the back of the land where Ariel's Grotto sits today. Fantasy Faire was a basic stage facility, but did include a lift that could raise performers or set pieces up from the Utilidor level.

The image below isn't the highest resolution, but click on it and look closely at the signs on the wall behind the house of straw. They offer a peek at a much simpler time in the history of Walt Disney World. The white sign promotes "Fantasy Faire Children's Show," implying that shows on this stage may have alternated from time to time. Next to that is a sign with a clock face and the image of Sorcerer Mickey. When one performance finished, a Technician or Stage Manager would just move the hands of the clock to point to the next scheduled show time.


Beyond these, the only other things I recall from that trip are waiting in line at 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea while my dad got us ice cream, and riding the monorail back to the parking lot at the end of our second day.

It may not be much, but these memories had a profound impact on my life. I will never forget looking out the window of that monorail as the Electrical Water Pageant crossed the lagoon. I was crying. When my mom asked what was the matter, I told her I didn't want to leave. I wanted to live at Disney World.

When we got home, my best friend and I occasionally cooked up our own theme parks and attraction ideas, and I pored over every book and Birnbaum guide I could get my hands on, planning what my next visit might be like. That visit wouldn't come for another five years, but eventually my dream came true.

Today, I do live at Walt Disney World (at least, very close to it), and I've been fortunate enough to have the opportunity to contribute to its legacy so that it might inspire even more 8-year-olds out there.

3 comments:

  1. It's funny how deeply my perception of Walt Disney World is still affected by those old Birnbaum guides. I would sit at home and read them over and over, and a lot of that text is just hard-wired into my subconscious at this point.

    My first trip to WDW was probably sometime around 1978 or '79, and I have very few specific memories about it (I would have been around three at the time). Weirdly enough, my most vivid memory is probably the Orange Bird--or more specifically, the fruit-shaped plastic containers that the drinks came in. When I saw the new Orange Bird pins during my last trip in February, my knees kind of buckled. Such a strong rush of nostalgia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes!! One of my strongest memories is seeing Donald waterskiing from the ferry. I was amazed!

    I also remember that the characters would just be wandering around. King John from Robin Hood went walkabout with my nephew in his stroller... he was really scared.
    Another really strong memory is the Adventureland Verandah restaurant, I remember that the food was yummy and that we were so impressed with the system of how you ordered, and walked to the counter where the food was ready to be picked up. Of course things were a lot less busy then!
    And of course the rides; going down the drop in Pirates and seeing a full size Pirate ship!! The pirate with the hairy leg - amazing!! Haunted Mansion with the hitchhiking ghost: how did they do that!! I also remember that the graveyard scene was very different with a teaparty and ghost in what looked like transparent raincoats. 20.000 leagues, Mission to mars with the seat effects that made you think you were really moving... It was truly magical!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first visit was July 1976, but then again in 1978. I also remember the orangebird plastic containers.

    ReplyDelete