My First Time


In the summer of 1978, my parents decided it was time to make the trip to Florida to "see Disney World." I was 8 (that's me with the bad hair). My brother was not quite 6, and we were too excited for words. We stayed off site (Disney only had three hotels and a campground then, and they were booked a year in advance), and we had two glorious days to spend (it was just the Magic Kingdom, after all).

My mom snapped the above photo with her old 110 camera, during a lunch break at the Coca-Cola Refreshment Corner on Main Street (now known as Casey's Corner). You'll notice my dad is flipping through our ticket book, figuring out what we might do next with what we have left. I seem to recall we had some extra "C" coupons and decided to use them for another trip to Neverland on Peter Pan's Flight.

I'm holding up our guidebook, likely lobbying for the attractions I want to do most. I'm sorry to say I no longer have any of the tickets from that trip, but I do still have the guidebook. It's a treasured part of my collection, for the look back at Magic Kingdom history as well as the memories it evokes.


The front cover of the book promises it will be "Your Complete Guide to Walt Disney World." The contents live up to that, providing information not just on the theme park, but the entire Vacation Kingdom. The back cover features an ad promoting the summer movie releases from Walt Disney Productions. The Jungle Book was a re-release of the 1967 classic, but the other two films were actually new at the time.

The center of the guidebook contains this handy map of the Magic Kingdom (click on the image for a closer look). It's fascinating to study for what is and isn't there. Of course, there are the now extinct attractions such as 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Mickey Mouse Revue, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, Skyway, If You Had Wings and Mission to Mars. There are also the large plots of open land where Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Splash Mountain and Mickey's Toontown Fair would later reside.


Close examination also reveals the location of ticket booths, which attractions took which type of ticket and those that were completely free (thanks to the participation of a corporate sponsor).

I hope you enjoy this look back at the Magic Kingdom. In the coming days, I'll have even more memories for you, so stay tuned!

6 comments:

  1. Very cool! This is from around the time of my first visit to WDW as well--I was around 5 or 6 and it was my only visit until I was a senior in High School.

    Brer Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post. I love hearing about the ticket book and seeing the old guidebook -- fantastic. Also, knowing how that first Disney trip would contribute to your current life makes it a fun look-back: "This is how it all started..."

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first trip was to Disneyland when I was 5. When we left we had extra tickets left in the book so my mom gave the extras to another family with alot of kids (5 of us.) Then my next trip was to Disney World when I was about 12 which would have been about 1977. We got to stay at the campgrounds, sounds like we were lucky to get a spot. I remember the water parade and the outside movies. Couldn't wait to share that with our son. We've been there several times since then and it is still my favorite spot. Also enjoy seeing my friends Shawn, Laurel and the boys when we are there. Thanks for all the info and reminding me of my first visits Shawn. Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post. Old maps are always fun to take a look at. I can't get over how "It's a Small World" was an E ticket and "Peter Pan" was a C ticket.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, this brings back memories. My first trip was in 1974 and luckily I still have an empty ticket book and a couple of guidebooks and souvenier books.
    When we went there was even less as Space Mountain also hadn't been built then.
    I must look out the old pictures/slides and scan them.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My first trip to Disney World was also 1978, in July. I was 18, from a small town on the west coast of Canada and awed!
    I have the same guide map, even saved one of the old paper shopping bags. I do have some partial ticket books as well. I was visiting friends in Rockledge, FL and they knew all the Magic Kingdom tricks and tips.
    I have been back to the World 13 times since then and planning another trip right now.
    Thanks for the memories!
    Gaylin

    ReplyDelete