Do You See What I See?


Often when I'm flipping back through my collection of Disney Parks photos from the past, I'll skip right over images like this one of New York Street at Disney's Hollywood Studios, circa 1991 (photo ©Disney). Occasionally, something will catch my eye that I didn't expect.

This shot of Manhattan in forced perspective would look much the same if taken today, save for some of the questionable fashion choices. There's one key difference, though. In this scene are a New York public transit bus and telephone company utility truck. They're full-size props which once populated the Backlot, adding an extra element of realism. Over the years, they've all been removed for one reason or another.

A few vehicular props can still be found around the Studios, like this tow truck outside Oscar's Super Service on Hollywood Boulevard, but even these disappear during peak attendance periods to allow for a more comfortable Guest experience in the park.


To catch these classic vehicles, plan to visit during slower periods (I enjoy early December, late January and early May myself). And don't forget to look closely at those old pictures. You might just discover a forgotten detail from one of the Disney Parks.

2 comments:

  1. I think I see another difference, Today on the backdrop there is a sign for parking on the left building, where it says "Hotel Fouilly" it says Amsterdam (for the theater), and the building in front of it has a sign that says Hotel... Otherwise it hasn't really changed, just minor details that changed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss the taxi cab, police car and other vehicles that used to be found throughout the Studios. I understand why they were removed from Hollywood Boulevard, but I'd like to see them on the Streets of America once again.

    ReplyDelete